2D4 what does it mean
Moonlit
2003-09-21 17:07:17 UTC

Though I played through the baldurs gate series (baldurs gate, sword coast
SOA and TOB) there is something I still don't understand and that is the
rating of weapons. I recently bought IWDI/II and now I really would like
to know. What does 2D4 or 1D6 mean and how does that work. I looked through
the various manuals and I know what thac0 etc. means however I can't find
anywhere what something like 1D8 for a weapon does. Most likely the Dx stuff
means a x sided dice but how is a successful hit calculated with it.

I used to go to a shopkeeper and guessed the more they payed for a weapon
the better it would probably be, but I would like to see it directly.

Regards, Ron AF Greve.
Patrick Dobson
2003-09-21 17:15:02 UTC
Post by Moonlit
Hi,
Though I played through the baldurs gate series (baldurs gate, sword coast
SOA and TOB) there is something I still don't understand and that is the
rating of weapons. I recently bought IWDI/II and now I really would like
to know. What does 2D4 or 1D6 mean and how does that work. I looked through
the various manuals and I know what thac0 etc. means however I can't find
anywhere what something like 1D8 for a weapon does. Most likely the Dx stuff
means a x sided dice but how is a successful hit calculated with it.
I used to go to a shopkeeper and guessed the more they payed for a weapon
the better it would probably be, but I would like to see it directly.
Regards, Ron AF Greve.
It refers to the number of dice which would be used to calculate the amount
of damage in ordinary D&D.

The first number refers to the number of dice, the second to the number of
faces on each die. 2d4 mean using two four-faced dice. The range is
therefore 2 - 8, minimum 2 from rolling 1 on each die, maximum 8 from
rolling 4 on each die.

Damage such as 1d4+1 (base damage for a warhammer) means you calculate the
damage from the die, then add the next number, so a warhammer does a base of
2 - 5 damage.

The damage is separate from Thac0, a successful hit is calculated from
Thac0, damage only applies if you hit.

Hope this helps.

Patrick
Moonlit
2003-09-21 17:27:50 UTC

Thanks, now I finally understand. This makes it a lot eassier to choose the
right weapon.

I think they should add this to the manuals (at least I wasn't able to find
it though there is a possibility I might have overlooked it).

Thanks again,

Regards, Ron Greve.
Post by Moonlit
Hi,
Patrick
Rich Velay
2003-09-21 17:55:09 UTC
Post by Moonlit
Hi,
Thanks, now I finally understand. This makes it a lot eassier to choose the
right weapon.
RCV: In BG1, the best compromise melee weapon, taking into account type
of damage, amount and speed factor, is the Long Sword. It does decent
damage, i.e. 1d8 [1 to 8 point range] it is comparatively fast and nearly
everything is vulnerable to slashing damage. Plus it is one handed,
allowing use of a shield. Most blunt weapons [maces, flails, morning stars,
etc] are very slow and do less damage than an L. Sword. While Halberds and
Two Handed Swords do more damage, they are pathetically slow, meaning you
are almost always hitting last in the round - useless for spell disruption
or killing enemies before they hit you. Short swords and daggers, while
very, VERY fast, do less damage and are piercing weapons and more things are
immune to piercing damage than to slashing damage.

Actually, the best weapon in BG1 by far is the Long Composite Bow.

In BG2, the Katana is the best compromise melee weapon - fast, good
damage and slashing type. Unfortunately, unless you pick up Celestial Fury
early on you will go a LONG time before you find one better than +1. On the
other hand, CF is "gettable" as soon as you have a Protection from Evil 10'
spell available and a bit of luck [or a willingness to employ "cheese".]

Bows are not as powerful in BG2 because of the +4 to hit that enemies
get against YOU with their melee weapons, but they are still incredibly
valuable. Remember that it is the number of attacks you get that determine
total damage you can do in a round - so for lower level characters the Bow's
innate 2 attacks per round is superior to any melee weapon's single attack
in a round. Basically, 1d6+2 x2 is superior to 1d8+4 [for example]. This
is what makes the Tuigan Bow, a "lowly" +1/+1 Short Bow, one of the best
weapons in the game, especially in the hands of someone truly skilled in its
use....

Rich
Moonlit
2003-09-21 19:01:48 UTC
Post by Rich Velay
Hi,
Post by Moonlit
[...]
I will take that into account. Besides playing IWD1/II for the first time I
am also replaying the four parts of BG ( I am now at SOA (somewhere at the
beginning) ), ofcourse this time I try to do all the quests and hope to get
out stronger.
Post by Rich Velay
[...]
Regards, Ron.

Antonio 'Gandalf' Favata
2003-09-21 17:15:08 UTC
Post by Moonlit
What does 2D4 or 1D6 mean and how does that work. I looked through
the various manuals and I know what thac0 etc. means however I can't find
anywhere what something like 1D8 for a weapon does. Most likely the Dx stuff
means a x sided dice but how is a successful hit calculated with it.
May I suggest you to download from http://www.gamefaqs.com/ a couple of
excellent guides/FAQs by Dan Simpson?
questions for BG2 and IWD2 respectively.
--
Fare Well! | ***@ithn.net ~ ICQ# 16553733 ~ now: 21/09/2003 19.12.36
G | 40tude Dialog (presto in Italiano): http://snurl.com/dialog

I programmatori non vivono, sono in esecuzione.
Moonlit
2003-09-21 17:37:33 UTC

Thanks for the link.

It looks like an excellent explanation of everything in the D&D type of
games, I will sure read through it the next few weeks.

Regards, Ron AF Greve.